Full Job Description
Summerland Montessori School is a non-profit independent school nestled in the beautiful Okanagan Valley in Summerland, British Columbia, just north of Penticton and within commuting distance of Kelowna to Oliver. Summerland Montessori School is a multi-age school, featuring small class sizes, ranging from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 5. Summerland Montessori School is known for play-based learning, our strong sense of community, lots of outdoor fun, a collaborative culture, a commitment to professional development for our team, and meeting students where they are with their individual learning. The school has an AIM French program that students learn from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 5.
We are looking for enthusiastic and dedicated teachers. Our ideal candidates will have experience teaching elementary grades and an understanding of the Primary Program: A Framework for Teaching and the BC Early Learning Framework; developmental levels of children aged 4-10. Our school faculty has experience with the following training and/or certifications: Montessori, hands on learning, Reggio (play based learning). Candidates with prior experience or a strong interest in developing their skills in these teaching philosophies are highly encouraged to apply.
Joining our non-profit independent Montessori school team allows for more schedule flexibility than working within the public education system.
Kindergarten Teacher (full- time, part- time considered)
Flex Teacher (part- time to full- time, depending on staffing need)
Key Duties and Responsibilities
These may include, but are not limited to:
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to support the development of an inquiry-based, Montessori-focused approach to teaching and learning
- Foster caring, committed, and supportive relationships with students and families
- Create a classroom environment that promotes an atmosphere of mutual respect and care
- Participate in professional development training related to Montessori and other educational initiatives
- Design, prepare, and deliver learning experiences that facilitate authentic engagement and meet students where they are on their educational path
- Identify and select instructional resources and methods to meet diverse student needs
- Prepare reports, conduct parent-teacher conferences, and communicate with parents on an ongoing basis to foster an open and supportive relationship that our school is known and admired for
- Model a strong work ethic, high standard of commitment, and maintain excellent professionalism in all interactions with colleagues, students and parents
- Participate in community building events, both in and out of school hours
- Promote and support the mission, vision and values of the school
Bachelor of Education
Additional Preferences (not required):
- Montessori Teaching Diploma, or interest in pursing Montessori training
- Interest or experience in discovery-based philosophies (e.g., Reggio, play-based)
- 1-2 years teaching experience
- Valid First Aid
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary based on the school’s approved teacher salary scale, dependent on experience and schedule availability
- Extended health and dental plan
- RRSP matching
- Regular professional development
- Unlike for-profit private schools, as an independent non-profit school, we operate on budgetary constraints. We want to be able to provide an accessible independent school education for a diverse range of the community population. While we are unable to be competitive with private and public-school salaries, we make up for it with schedule flexibility, professional development opportunities, benefits, and an incredibly supportive, warm and welcoming school and work environment.
Applications must be submitted to Shandel Larsson, smsheadofschool (at) shaw (dot) ca.
Applications will be reviewed in order they are received.
- Cover letter
- Copy of Bachelor of Education Degree and Montessori Teaching Diploma
- Two letters of reference, one of which must be from your most recent Principal/Supervisor
- Most recent teaching evaluation