-AFTER SCHOOL CARE
-FULL-TIME EDUCATION ASSISTANT FOR THE SCHOOL
Scroll down to view both job descriptions.
After School Care Leader ~ Job Description
After School Program leaders develop engaging activities for school age children to participate in after they have completed their school day. As an after school lead, you are required to have a Responsible Adult (see explanation below) status and be passionate about working with children. Your role is crucial in providing a healthy, safe and engaging environment for school age children to enjoy at the end of what seems to them a long school day.
As a Licensed Child Care Facility, we are regulated by the BC Child Care Licensing Regulation which governs required employee credentials:
- Responsible Adult: Requires an employee to be at least 19 years of age, have relevant work experience and completed a course or a combination of courses of at least 20 hours duration in child development, guidance, health and safety or nutrition.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide a safe, aesthetic and creative environment that meets current Child Care Licensing requirements
- Plan and implement fun and engaging activities
- Utilize appropriate positive guidance strategies according to the SELC and SMS behavioural guidance and discipline policies
- Monitors student attendance of the program by collecting daily attendance
- Coordinate snack and daily outdoor activities
- Communicate with families, other staff and superiors in a timely and professional manner
- Assists in other capacities as determine by the SELC manager and/or Head of School
- Performs related duties as required and in alignment with all Summerland Early Learning Centre and Summerland Montessori School policies and procedures
- Be available to provide after school care Monday – Friday
- Responsible adult course
- Valid First aid
Salary and Benefits
- $17-19 per hour dependent on experience and schedule availability
- Extended health and dental plan (available at 20 hours per week)
- RRSP matching
Applications must be submitted to Shandel Larsson, smsheadofschool (at) shaw (dot) ca
- Cover letter
- Copy of Responsible Adult Course, or other courses
- Copy of current First Aid
- Two letters of reference, one of which must be from your most recent Manager/Supervisor
- Criminal Record Check Background check (upon request)
Education Assistant Job Description
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide classroom support in collaboration with teachers, the principal/ vice-principal and the school-based team.
- Foster caring, committed, and supportive relationships with students and families
- Assist students in the development of effective academic and social, emotional and behavioural strategies.
- Monitor student progress through the collection of objective data as requested.
- Implement adaptations and modifications as outlined in Individual Education Plans (IEP).
- Utilize technology to support student learning.
- Participate in professional development training related to Montessori and other educational initiatives
- Model a strong work ethic, high standard of commitment, and maintain excellent professionalism in all interactions with colleagues, students and parents
- Attend meetings and/or accompany students on field trips as requested.
- Participate in community building events, both in and out of school hours
- Promote and support the mission, vision and values of the school
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Education Assistant diploma
- At least four months recent and successful experience working with K-5 children in structured programs or school settings.
- 1-2 years experience
- Valid First Aid
Salary and Benefits
- Salary based on the school’s approved Education Assistant salary scale, dependent on experience and schedule availability
- Extended health and dental plan
- RRSP matching
- Regular professional development
- Cover letter
- Copy of Education Assistant Certificate
- Two letters of reference, one of which must be from your most recent Principal/Supervisor
- Background check (upon request)
Early Learning Centre ECE or ECEA
About the Summerland Early Learning Centre (SELC)
The Summerland Early Learning Centre is a fully enrolled licensed childcare facility. We believe that children are naturally curious and active participants in their learning journey. Our teachers facilitate learning through discovery and nurture a love of learning by providing children with an engaging environment carefully selected to guide learning outcomes. Learning is a journey of inquiry, a constantly evolving process that interconnects children with their environment and the people in it. Our program of activities incorporates a flexible Preschool Curriculum that fosters holistic, interconnected learning through play. Our qualified and experienced educators create learning activities and environments that encourage children to construct their own knowledge of concepts through their active experiences of play. These play experiences cover a wide spectrum of learning and development in areas such as creative art, drama, literacy, numeracy, social, cultural, environmental, science, construction, music and physical literacy. Our program of activities focuses on encouraging the holistic development of the growing child (physical, intellectual, creative, emotional, social, intellectual and language).
The Summerland Early Learning Centre is part of the South Okanagan Montessori Society (SOMSS). SOMSS is a non-profit society that oversees the operations of the SELC and the Summerland Montessori School.
Our dedicated non-profit society is looking for a qualified ECE or ECEA to work at our centre, located in the beautiful Okanagan Valley town of Summerland, BC.
This position offers:
- Competitive wages vary depending on experience – $23-$26 (these wages are effective as of April 2022 and include the government wage subsidy)
- A comprehensive Benefits package (Extended Health Care, Dental Care, Group Life Insurance) co-paid at 50% by the Employer (after 3 months)
- Paid sick days (after 3 months)
- Professional growth and development.
- Great work environment
- Flexible schedule and hours
- A supportive board of directors and manager
All you need to apply is:
- ECE or ECEA certificate
- Current criminal record check
- CPR emergency childcare first aid certificate
- A passion for working with children
- Previous experience is an asset but not required
How to apply:
If you love working with children and enjoy building and implementing your own activities and ideas, in a fun and educational environment, with a flexible work schedule, combined with competitive wages, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, Attn: Kristy.